Showing posts from July, 2019

Moving to California: how to apply for your California driver licence

So you've landed in sunny California on your new adventure on a shiny resident visa, and you've read somewhere that your overseas driving licence can only be used for 10 days. 10 days? Did you read that right? Yep, I'm afraid you did. If you're coming over from another US state you've got until your current licence expires, but if you're from overseas (like me) you need to have a California driver licence if you are considered a California resident. And according to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), this means you do any of the following: - Vote in a California election - Pay resident tuition - File for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or - Receive "any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents" See: We moved over here on an L1/L2 visa, which is basically one that global companies use to transfer staff between international offic